The Pixel Market 17/18 Oct
The Cross-Media Forum 16-19 Oct 2012
in association with the BFI London Film Festival
The Pixel Market is a finance market at the centre of Power to the Pixel’s Cross-Media Forum bringing together top-level executives from the worlds of film, TV, publishing, online, interactive, the arts, games and mobile. The market is a totally unique global event that facilitates inter-industry partnerships as well as providing extensive networking opportunities.
Participating companies 2012 include 3Decide | Arsam International | Artangel | Aramid Capital | ARTE France | Arts Alliance | BBC | BBH | beActive | BFI Film Fund | Boomgen Studios | Britdoc | Canada Media Fund | Cartoon | Caviar Films | Channel 4 | Childseye | Content | Creative Industries KTN | Creative Scotland | The Creators Project | Distrify | Dogwoof | DR | Egmont | Flying Moon | Fourth Wall Studios | France Télévisions | Full Time Hobby | Grand Central | Haut et Court | Hide & Seek | IFP | Imano | Interactive Opportunities | ITVS | Krempelwood | Made in Me | McCann Erickson US | MEDIA Interactive Fund | MEDIA | MediaCom | Mindshapes | MSN UK | NFB Canada | Norwegian Film Institute | NRW | Ogilvy | OMD | Orange | PACT | Pearson | Penguin | Pro Helvetia | Pulse Films | Pure Grass Films | Radio-Canada | Rocket Pictures | Salt. | Screen Yorkshire | Shareplay | Somethin’ Else | Spirit digital media | TorinoFilmLab | Tribeca Film Institute | Turner | United Talent Agency | Venice Film Market | VICE | Wallimage CrossMedia | Warp | We R Interactive | Xbox Live | YouTube | ZDF | Zodiak Active
HOW DOES IT WORK?
30 of the best cross-media projects from around the world have been selected for this third edition, with eight of the teams chosen to go head-to-head at The Pixel Pitch competition on 17 October. As in previous years, each team will give a 10-minute presentation, in front of a public audience, to a distinguished international jury who will give feedback to each team.
The winner of the prestigious £6,000 ARTE Pixel Pitch Prize was Everyday Rebellion by brothers Arash & Arman T. Riahi of Golden Girls Filmproduktion & Filmservices.
This year also saw three new prizes introduced:
- beActive’s Pixel Market Comedy Prize – £2,500 and automatic selection for the Digital Comedy Lab 2013
Winners: Catherine Tait, Kent Sobey and Jonas Diamond, producers of SOS: Save Our Skins.
- Cinekid Pixel Market Prize (4 – 14 year olds) – automatic selection to Cinekid for Professionals co-production market in October, plus return travel and two nights accommodation in Amsterdam
Winners: Thomas Langhanki (Experimental Game) & Michael Luda’s (Saxonia Media) with The Slumbers.
- Mozilla Pixel Market Prize for Non-Fiction – participation at the Living Docs hackathon in San Francisco in early 2013, with complimentary flights and accomodation
Winner: Sarah Arruda of Helios Design Labs for Queen West – Art.Noise.Mayhem.
This year’s participants included –
- Stephan Bonnefoy & Christophe Findji, 2 Minutes & Jus de Prod, Ori&Gami! (France)
- Edward Dallal, Spring Films, The Super 8 Complex (UK)
- Steven Grisales & Jose Luis Rugeles, Rhayuela Cine, Buenaventura Mon Amour (Colombia)
- Natalia Imaz & Luisa Romeo, Parabellum Film & Frida Films, The Incredibles (Spain/Germany)
- Jeff Norton, Awesome Media & Entertainment, METAWARS (Canada/UK)
- Uffe Savery & Mads Damsbo, Copenhagen Phil in cooperation with MAKROPOL, World Online Orchestra Project (Denmark)
- Arash & Arman T. Riahi, Golden Girls Filmproduktion & Filmservices, Everyday Rebellion (Austria)
- Mahyad Tousi, BoomGen Studios, Birthright (USA)
- Sarah Arruda, Mary Dickie, Mike Robbins & Alex Wittholz, Helios Design Labs, Queen West – Art.Noise.Mayhem (Canada)
- Jakob Balslev & Petter Madegård, Nordisk Film Production, Cinema dell’Arte #3 – Thunders of Thor (Denmark)
- Enrica Capra, GraffitiDoc, Europe for Sale (Italy)
- Matthieu de Laborde & Samuel Aubin, ISKRA and RHIZOME, It is That Way (France)
- Nicolas Deprost & Julien Krizek, WHAC Média, Ukiyo-e, Stories of the floating world (France)
- Bruno de Sa Moreira & Edouard Lussan, Normandy Productions, William the Conqueror (France)
- Bruno Felix, Submarine Channel, The Last Hijack (Netherlands)
- Marcos Ferreira, MobContent, Music.Art.Place (Brazil)
- Fabrizia Galvagno, Doc in Progress, DOCUSOUND (Italy)
- Ellin Hare & Magnus Dennison, Amber Film & Photography Collective and Meerkat Films, Between the Mud and the Farthest Star (UK)
- Annika Hellström & Petra Revenue, Anagram Produktion and Cinenic Film, Blasting Bängtssons (Sweden)
- Gabriela Isas, Chocolate Albino, VICTOR (USA/UK)
- Esben Kjær Ravn, Kong Orange, Let’s Dance – A Casual Game About Death (Denmark)
- Kristoff Leue, SANCTA, ZOOks (Belgium)
- Zack Lieberman, Exit Strategy New Media & Max & Charlie Productions, Max & Charlie (USA)
- Michael Luda, Thomas Langhanki & Sven Sund, Saxonia Media and Experimental Game, The Slumbers – Wish Tales (Germany)
- Zach Niles, SodaSoap Creative, Lakou Mizik (USA)
- Lucas Ochoa & Hugh Garry, Pulse Films, In Your Voice In Your Heart (USA/UK)
- Lise Saxtrup, Dajana Dimovska & Trine Laier, Klassefilm & KnapNokGames, Cosmic Top Secret – Black Holes Expansion (Denmark)
- Kent Sobey & Catherine Tait, Farmhouse Productions/ Duopoly Canada/ Baby Cow Productions, SOS: Save Our Skins (Canada/UK)
- Alex Steyermark & Lavinia Jones, 1m1 Trax, The 78 Project (USA/ Canada)
- Juliet Tzabar & Dominic Minns, This is Pip/Plug-in Media, Ha Ha Bonk (UK)